Podcast Episode: Sleep
Sleep: It’s something we all need, and something we probably don’t get enough of. As parents, we tend not to get enough sleep. If we want to function well and be better parents, however, we need to make this a priority. While it’s important for us to make sure that our little ones get enough sleep, it’s just as important that parents get the sleep that they need. Today we’re going to get some great tips on doing just that.
We’re talking to two sleep experts. The first is Dr. Krishna Sundar, who is the medical director of the Sleep/Wake Center at the University of Utah. The second is Natalie Willes, who is a sleep consultant at babysleeptrainer.com and is an expert on baby and toddler sleep.
- What sleep medicine is and how it pertains to getting better sleep, particularly when there are sleep disorders and issues with how the body responds to sleep.
- Why sleep is so critical to who we are as human beings and as parents, as well as why sleep is one of the three main pillars of health.
- The cumulative health effects of sleep deprivation.
- How screens (smartphones, tablets) impact our sleep.
- Sundar’s best tips for new parents who need to get more or better sleep.
- The importance of getting your kids to sleep better so you, as a parent, can sleep better.
- Natalie’s tips for parents to help them get more sleep.
- Natalie’s thoughts on naps.
Links From Contributors:
Dr. Krishna Sundar on LinkedIn
Natalie on Facebook
Natalie on Yelp
Quotes From This Episode:
Dr. Sundar: “Sleep disorders can have a profound impact on our daytime well-being and our long-term health.”
Dr. Sundar: “It’s preferable to limit or avoid [electronic] devices before bed.... It’s best to keep them out of the bedroom.”
Natalie: “Sleep and lack of sleep with kids is a huge problem that affects infants, toddlers, children, and marriages.”
Natalie: “If you make sleep a priority... that’s the best thing you can do.”
Have an idea for the show?
Have a topic you'd love for us to discuss? Call 1-866-553-5874 extension 500 and leave us a voicemail.
Meet the host: DJ Waldow
DJ Waldow is a husband, father (of 4... including TWINS!), and a 7-year gDiapers user—his children, not him. He's an advocate, a super-fan, and an overall lover of the gDiaper brand, product, and community. DJ also happens to have his own marketing company, 3LTRZ, where he helps clients with content creation—like podcasts. DJ has launched 3 (now 4) podcasts over the years, recording over 100 episodes!